wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 21:03:31 -0400

It’s mid-April which means only one thing here at WXYC: KICKBALL AGAINST OUR FELLOW “RADIO STATION” “KNOWN AS” “WXDU.” That’s right, once a year we head over to Duke’s East Campus and wipe the floor with those weak, weak friends of Duke University.  During this time, we forget all values of music and programming and turn our focus towards weight-lifting and screaming.  We are projected to win this year because our fall and spring recruiting class is looking pretty fit.  Really though, we love WXDU and this event is one of the few times in the year we get to interact with other folks in the area who are constantly making great radio.  Somehow we managed to throw together some programming for the week though, so check it out!

The phrase "Are you smell, what the Rock, is cook?" is the exclusive property of WWE, Inc. and its subsidiaries, and therefore cannot be used to promote WXYC's Inside Track this Friday at 9:00 pm. We'll be spinning Dva's new album Nipomo. Dva is a Czech bro-sis multi-instrumentalist duo composed of Jan and Bára Kratochvil/Kratochvílová, and this album is the first of theirs to get distributed in the US. The subtitle of this record is “How To Survive Winter.” Now at the end of our own protracted cold spell, I feel like I can relate to the kind of escapism on display here. These cheery, cute songs are sung in a made-up Romance-sounding language, and the end result is some serious whimsy, psychedelic and sun-kissed.

On New Science Experience (NSE) tonight on WXYC Chapel Hill 89.3 FM we are presenting beats. The beats are arranged in many ways, but can be either chiptune or chillwave. you might hear some Daft Punk too if you listen close enough. Music provided by WXYC DJ "Deep Voice" John W. The beats will serve as a pump-up for annual kickball game of WXYC vs. WXDU-Duke our rivals on sunday. If you want to hear it (the beats not kickball) turn it on between 10PM and midnight tonight, thank you.

Tune in Sunday at 1 PM for Hell Or High Water. Each week one XYC DJ plunges into the fantastic Southern Folklife Collection housed in Wilson Library and pulls out some killer musical recordings.  You may not get another chance to hear some of these tunes again, so turn your radio on and listen in!

This Sunday, Broken Music follows up its recent review of early works by French composer Eliane Radigue with a new composition documenting the most recent phase of her career. Naldjorlak is a three part work for acoustic instruments, built on mapping out extraneous but captivating sounds produced when the performer hones in on an instruments own resonances. The first part, written for Charles Curtis' cello, calls on the wolf tones produced when the instrument is tuned to its on sonorities. The second section is a slowly evolving exploration for a duo of basset horns, played by Carol Robinson and Bruno Martinez, wherein the two conjure simple harmonics and partials through a single sustained tones and gradually introduce multiphonics and more complex timbres. The closing section combines the three musicians. Tune in at 2pm.

This Sunday *WXYC Reports* features some fresh, innovative, exciting programming, in a style and format we've never done before! We're extending our interest in narrative and story telling to an hour-long discussion with 3 filmmakers, Jing Niu, Sarah Garrahan, and Nora Mendez.  Jing and Sarah have just debuted film theses for Duke's MFA program in Experimental and Documentary Arts (entitled Departing and Vida Propiarespectively). Departing is a film that poetically narrates Jing's personal history of migrating from China and working in American Chinese restaurants in the Southeast. Vida Propria tells but a small and amazing part of the life of Nora Mendez, who also migrated to the United States and is a Chef, kitchen worker, artist, and activist. She and Sarah have created the foodtruck FARE project, which they will be sure to tell us about.  Topics of discussion will include: co-authorship, the construction of the "subject-documentarian" dichotomy and relationship, documenting the self, + MORE! Tune in because you won't want to miss it, and find it at our mixcloud after we air! Tune in Sunday at 5 PM!

On Sports Rap this week (9 to 10 each Sunday-ee) Reilly and Ryan will be joined by WXYC NCAA bracket champion and new DJ Karla J!  The group will wrap up the college basketball season and also give thoughts on the fast-approaching NBA playoffs, UNC's new carolinacommitment.unc.edu, and most especially, WXYC's kickball match against the Krillin-like DJs of WXDU--they may even give out a Most Value DJ award! Tune in and participate @dunksbutts!

On Monday night at 9:00 pm we'll make your ears into the sacred vessels of our Outside Track. Tune in to hear Norwegian jazz rock semi-improv from the Krokofant trio - guitarist Tom Hasslan; drummer Axel Skalstad; and hornsman Jorgen Mathisen. This is their debut release on Rune Grammofon. Their style is aggro and brash along the lines of Zu, Ex Orkest, Mahavishnu Orchestra but is also kinda proggy which is cool.

This week Should Does Does Radio is hosting poet and visiting poetry instructor, Rachel Richardson. We'll ask her about her journey as a writer, her advice to young poets, and hear her read from her newly finished second book! We'll also have on a couple folks from CampWrite, the free creative writing camp for teens, hosted at UNC this summer. Buckle up and tune-in this Wednesday at 9pm!