wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week In WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 18:47:20 -0400

The Harvest Moon has come and we have made the appropriate sacrifices to the radio gods.  Feast upon our crop:

Friday night beckons you with the Inside Track.  Tune in this week at 9 PM for the new record Yessir Whatever by Quasimoto.  The third album from Quasimoto, Madlib’s helium-infused identity, is a collection of tracks compiled from across a twelve-year period. Included are raps from Lord Quas and a deeper-pitched Madlib, fluttering synths, easy-listening soul and jazz samples, and druggy skit interludes.

Tune in every Friday night from 10-12 PM for WXYC’s own dance-orientated music exploration, the New Science Experience.  Tonight, join WXYC DJ Andy S as he takes us on a guided tour of deep space for your listening pleasure.

Tune in on Sunday at 1 PM for Hell of High Water! This week DJ Kiever will focus on banjo music from Appalachia.  Being such an isolated region, the Appalachian Mountains in Kentucky have been a cradle that has nurtured bluegrass for generations. Steeping for centuries, the music to come out of these hills makes your bones ache for some good ole mountain dew. I'll focus on the more popular banjo pickers to come out of Kentucky like Roscoe Holcomb and Buell Kazee, but will also pay delicate attention to other lesser known artists

Broken Music this week will feature Ólafur Arnald's recent album For Now I am Winter.   His third main release, For Now I am Winter, deals with the idea of hope and "that no matter how bad things seem, there is always light at the end of the tunnel...For Now I am Winter is asserting that the winter is never forever".  With lyrics written and performed by Arnór Dan of Agent Fresco, Ólafur Arnald's major label debut delivers captivating sonically dense and diverse, yet minimalist musical pieces.

WXYC Reports is proud to announce our first show of the semester and first ever *live* show! This Sunday, from 5-6pm, we will be exploring the beautiful and mysterious territory of M E M O R Y. The show will feature live conversations on the topics of: past lives, mis-remembered first dates, brain-health culture, and cognitive philosophy.*Don't forget* to tune in!

Join local music connoisseur Lincoln Sunday night at 8 PM for an always interesting and revealing exploration of music from our lovely Triangle on The Backyard Barbeque.  Rock.

Wind down after the weekend with a nice chat about sports from the lovely hosts of Sports Rap.  Tune in for updates about the most recent and striking updates in the sports-world and for discussions about the ethics, economics, and ethos of Sports.

 Get weird on Monday with the Outside Track.  This week features a new release from Belgian label Sub Rosa entitled Correspondences by Daniel Aspuru/Mauricio Montero/Steven Brown. This is the latest chapter in Sub Rosa’s ‘New Series Framework’ which focuses on a ‘transductor eolico’, a massive, semi-autonomous recording device created by Oaxaca-based composer Aspuru. The TE absorbs source material and manipulates its sound leading a set of intricate jazzy and way-out-there improvisations which, on some of the tracks, are paired with vocals.

Tune in on Wednesday night at 9 PM to hear musings of local literati and true creative nerds on Should Does Does Radio.  Should Does revels in variety, so tune in for an eclectic and fun/not fun experience!