wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week in WXYC
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 09:29:23 -0400

This weekend, your radio heroes over at WXYC took a trip into the Raleigh wilderness, a place so removed from modern times that it's really hard to find a sturdy internet connection. While we were there, it just so happened that there was a music festival going on, which is really serendipitous when you think about it. Keep reading for more on that, buuuttt.

In an hour, at 10 am, we got the Orange County Special so be sure to tune in for three hours of folk, traditional and neo-traditional jams.

Then, check in at 1 pm for Hell or High Water. Reilly F is going to be hosting the show and playing an hour of old 78s from the Bailes Brothers. Tune in for some close harmonies!

At 2, Broken Music gets a little more literal as we listen to Andrea Neumann. She didn't exactly break a piano, but she certainly broke it apart. Her 'inner piano' actually manages to not sound like a harp, but it doesn't sound like 88 keys either!

At 8, on the Backyard Barbecue James F is going to be doing a very cool thing. WXYC hosted a Hopscotch day party on Saturday, which was cool. Joint D=, Flesh Wounds, Last Year's Men, Infeccion and Guinea Worms all played and were all fantastic. Don't believe me? Tune in at 8 and you'll get to hear the best of each band's set!

Then at 9, sports will be talked about on SportsRap. With the first full football weekend upon us, the panel goes all out on the pigskin talk. Ranging from the Heel's game at Wake Forest, a rundown of week 2 in the NCAA, along with the NFL's first week schedule and everything in between. The panel will also touch on September baseball and the US Open.

Be sure to listen to the NSE at 10pm for two hours of bass-heavy live-mixed dance music brought to you by our very own TJ.

Finally, Monday at 9pm, on the Inside Track, tune in for
Six Organs of Admittance - Ascent (Drag City). Tune in if you want to wander the surface of a recently hot-boxed moon, absorbing the heavy celestial licks. The songs that aren't intense stoner jams will be recognized by Six Organs fans for their cosmic drones and dextrous guitar meditations. Long live Ben Chasny.

Better late than never,
JJ