wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Local, New Co-op Advantage Specials and more!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.coop>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Local, New Co-op Advantage Specials and more!
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 17:05:13 -0400

Hi Wheatsville friends and fans!

In this e-mail:
Eatin' Local!
In the deli
Featured Cheeses
Meat department specials
Co-op Advantage Specials for May
Upcoming events!

La Vida Local!
Wheatsville has long been a supporter of local agriculture. Many local growers and producers have gotten their start and great support from your co-op and we're proud of that! We continue to try and find ways to grow our local support and foster new growers and producers.

I was very pleased to see us featured fairly prominently in the Statesman article today about Eating Locally. (Look for it here: http://tinyurl.com/yvpbrt )
Four food writers from the Statesman explored the joys (and challenges) of eating locally as much as possible for a week. You should check out the article yourself, but I was really glad that a few of them made Wheatsville a central part of their shopping. Renee Studebaker basically made the Farmer's Market and Wheatsville her source for food. Here is a tiny excerpt of her piece:

"I also figured out that if I run out of local goodies from the Austin Farmer's Market, it's pretty easy to stop in at Wheatsville Co-op on my way home from work and pick up something quick, easy and local for dinner (see Day 6). When the farmers' market begins selling at the Triangle this week, my shopping chores will get even easier; my house is just a few blocks from the Triangle. I love eating locally. I hope more people give it a try."

This segues nicely into letting y'all know that the Downtown Farmer's Market is moving its Wednesday Market up t our neck of the woods at the Triangle development. Today is the first day, so finish reading this e-mail and head on over! They have lots of vendors and bunch of fun stuff lined up. After you get what you can there, swing on by Wheatsville and finish off your shopping! The new Market will be open on Wednesdays from 4-8pm. Yay for the Sustainable Food Center and local food!

Fresh in the Deli
New Local Vendor!
The Green Cart – 4 vegetarian wraps with fresh ingredients, offering greek, spanich, Indian, and Spanish flavors. Find it in the self serve case! Support new local vendors!
(By the by, Aster's is no longer available at Wheatsville as they focus on their new restaurant over on the I-35 frontage road near Dean Keeton.)

We are featuring two delicious recipes from our friends in from the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op this month through May 15th.

Yucatan Black Bean Salad
Light, simple and refreshing, we toss together black turtle beans, corn, onions, bell peppers in a light vinaigrette brightened up with fresh chopped cilantro and lime juice. Serve spooned over blackened or marinated steak or seafood entrée.

Save .50 per pound

Garlic Lovers Pasta
The name says it all. Loaded with fresh chopped garlic, this popular dish combines cavatappi pasta, peas and sharp shredded cheese with a creamy mayonnaise dressing spiked up with fresh lemon juice and herbs -- A picnic-perfect pasta dish.

Save .50 per pound

Member coupons in the deli:
Goodflow lemonade regularly $1…..25 off
Vegan sausage…regularly $6.99 pound………50¢ off total price in self serve
Italian sandwich…. $5.79 ea…….50¢ off

May Featured Cheese- Goat/Chevre
Goat milk cheeses range in texture from moist and creamy to dry and semi firm, with a slightly intense, tangy flavor. Popular varieties include Montrachet and Bucheron, gourmet varieties include Purple Haze, Capra with honey and Humboldt Fog.
Creamy chevre varieties are sold in round, pyramid or cylinder shapes and are sometimes coated in edible ash or leaves, or flavored with herbs or peppercorns. Store goat cheeses tightly wrapped in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

Try spreading chevre on grilled bruschetta brushed with olive oil and fresh garlic, then garnish with chopped chives or sun dried tomatoes for a nice outdoor appetizer.

Our friends the Fitzsimmons at Thunder Heart Bison won an extremely prestigious award this past month from the Gallo Family of Wineries! ""Each producer has a great family story to share, but Hugh Fitzsimons from Thunder Heart Bison stood out as the most inspirational and impressive," said Matt Gallo, third generation winegrower, Gallo Family Vineyards. "It's clear how important family is to the daily operation of his business, with each member playing a vital role. As someone who spends
most of his time on the land, I felt an immediate connection to Thunder Heart's passionate commitment to the agriculture and the animals they raise. We're thrilled to bestow them with this much-deserved honor."

Also, look for Coleman natural beef N.Y. Strip loin steaks 50 cents off with member coupon. A
Co-op Advantage Specials available on-line! http://wheatsville.coop/CAP%20flyers/SW0507_final.pdf

Events!
Bike to work day is May 18th. Come on by Wheatsville on your bike between 7 and 9 am for some light breakfast treats!
We're having a GRRRill Off on May 19th from 2-6pm. Come by and sample a variety of meat and meatless dogs, sausages and brats!

I hope you have a great week!
Dan Gillotte
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy!

  • [Wheatsville] Local, New Co-op Advantage Specials and more!, Dan Gillotte, 05/02/2007