wheatsville - [Wheatsville] Cinco de Mayo, Specials, and Organic Dairy Standards call to action!

wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Wheatsville Co-op Austin, TX

  • From: Dan Gillotte <gm AT wheatsville.coop>
  • To: wheatsville AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: deli AT wheatsville.com
  • Subject: [Wheatsville] Cinco de Mayo, Specials, and Organic Dairy Standards call to action!
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 12:12:10 -0500

Hi friends,

I hope that you're having a good May so far. Scroll down for a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie recipe and information about preserving organic dairy standards!

¡It's Cinco de Mayo! this week and we have some special items to help you celebrate.

Our Co-op Advantage Specials this month include:
Organic Valley Sour Cream for $2.49
Amy's Kitchen Organic Refried Beans 2 for $3
Westbrae Organic Beans on sale $1.19

There are a bunch of chips on sale, too!
Mexi-Snack Tortilla chips for $1.99
Garden of Eatin' Mini Corn Chips for $1.29
Guiltless Gourmet baked corn chips for $1.69

The Co-op Advantage Flyer (look for it at the member center and at the registers) has a recipe for a Black Bean Dip and a Fresh Lemon-Cilantro Salsa.

Produce will have plenty of avocadoes for Guacamole making, too!

Can't make it yourself, but still want that FRESH salsa action? The deli has our regular and beloved fresh salsas; Casera, Verde and Chipotle and this month our Salsa of the Month comes from our friends at Ozark Natural Foods up in Fayetteville Arkansas. It's a delicious Tomatilla Fire, a roasted peppers and tomatillo salsa.

We've also got items ready for grilling including:
Boca Burgers for $3.29
Boca Brats and sausage for $3.29
Smart Dogs for $2.69
Organic Rudi's Burger Buns for $2.69

New in Frozen-
Temptation Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert- straight from Chicago!
I first discovered this amazing soy ice cream while visiting Outpost Co-op in Milwaukee. Now it's available here! We've got three flavors right now: Fair Trade Organic Chocolate, Fair Trade Organic Coffee, and Strawberry. Try them out! They're on introductory sale for $2.89!
We also have some new Gluten Free items for our friends looking to avoid Gluten but still wanting a treat:
Dough Dough Gluten Free Cookie Dough from the nice folks at Gluten Free Kneads. Just bake and eat!
New in Meat and Seafood-
Ecofsih Mahi Mahi ready for grilling
Buddy's Natural Chicken stuffed with jalapeno cornbread ready to cook!

Produce has the makings for an organic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie; a classic Spring favorite available now for a limited time! Buy a frozen pie shell if you don't have time to make your own and you're on your way!
Here is one recipe from a WHOLE web-site devoted to Rhubarb! http://www.rhubarbinfo.com
<x-tad-bigger>Strawberry Rhubarb Pie</x-tad-bigger><x-tad-bigger>
</x-tad-bigger>
Ingredients:
<x-tad-bigger>4 cups chopped rhubarb
2 cups sliced strawberries
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Pastry for 9" double-crust pie
1 egg, beaten (optional)
</x-tad-bigger>
Procedure:

In bowl combine first 6 ingredients. On lightly floured surface roll out 1/2 of the pastry and line pie plate. Spoon in filling. Brush pastry rim with egg (optional). Roll out top pastry. With a pastry wheel or a knife, cut into 1" wide strips. Gentley weave strips ver pie to form lattice. Trim and flute edge. Brush with egg (optional). Bake on a baking sheet at 425F for 15 min. Reduce heat to 375F and bake 50-60 min, or until rhubarb is tender, filling thickened, and crust golden.

As it heats up, you may be looking for ways to keep from cooking or just for options on refreshing yourself. Our deli is her to help! Delicious smoothies are available in many tempting flavors customized to your liking! And, you may not realize, but our smoothies are made with all frozen fruit and juice not just flavoring and ice like some of the chain smoothie joints. You get a lot more whole fruit that way and it's a good value for your money. The deli also has other delightful refreshing special drinks for the summer. Look for the sign in the deli for more information!

The deli also has delicious salads available every day; small side salads with mixed greens and your choice of Wheatsville-made dressing and larger meal-sized salads; Mixed Greens with Baked Tofu, Mixed Greens with Grilled Buddy's Natural Chicken Breast and Insalata Caprese de Wheatsvilla, mixed greens with fresh mozzarella. The salads get raves and really are delicious, a great light choice for lunch or dinner!

We need your help to preserve the integrity of Organic Dairy!
The USDA is writing the rules for Organic Dairy Farms. They are questioning how important allowing dairy cows access to pasture is to organic consumers. Wheatsville, along with other co-ops and organic family farmers, believes that meaningful access to pasture is a critical part of what the organic consumer wants. If you agree, please contact the USDA on or before June 12, 2006.

Consumers may comment in one of the following ways: <x-tad-smaller>Note: All written comments should be identified with docket number TM-05-14.
</x-tad-smaller>
Mail: Mark A. Bradley, Associate Deputy Administrator Transportation and Marketing Programs National Organic Program
Room 4008–So., Ag Stop 0268 1400 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, DC 20250.
E-mail: NOP.Livestock AT usda.gov
Internet: www.regulations.gov. (Hint: Search for Docket ID AMS-2006-0053 or Document ID AMD-2006-0053-0001.)
Fax: (202) 205-7808
More information: A copy of the questions and issues raised in the Advance Notice to Proposed Rulemaking (ANPR) can be found on the NOP website at www.ams.usda.gov/nop.

Please join us in responding to the USDA on this critical issue!
You can also go to this web-site to send a quick e-mail on this issue:
http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/oca/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=3567

Thank you so much for your continued support!

Dan
Wheatsville GM and e-mail guy

  • [Wheatsville] Cinco de Mayo, Specials, and Organic Dairy Standards call to action!, Dan Gillotte, 05/03/2006