unclug - [unclug] (no subject)

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: adamc AT unc.edu
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [unclug] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:59:36 -0500

I won't suggest I know what's going on, but there does seem to be something funky with either the startup.jar or FC4's eclipse executable, since I get the same error if I specify various combinations of the Sun VM with the -vm /path/to/sun/java argument and the -cp /path/to/different/startup.jar. I peeked in the their startup.jar, and it *DOES* contain a Main-Class attribute in the manifest, so I'm inclined to blame the executable.

I've always installed eclipse from the tarball on eclipse.org along with a Sun JDK (in the opposite order; and I set PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH to make sure that "java" picks up Sun's binary), and it works fine for me.

HTH

AC

Quoting Alan Hoyle <alanh AT email.unc.edu>:

I have a fresh FC4 install including Eclipse.

When I type "eclipse" at a command line, I get the following behavior:

$ eclipse
Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from startup.jar

  • [unclug] (no subject), adamc, 02/28/2006