unclug - RE: [unclug] Wireless PCMCIA cards

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'UNC Linux Users Group'" <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [unclug] Wireless PCMCIA cards
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:37:25 -0400

I have an HP laptop that has built-in wireless using the Broadcom chipset as
well. Under FC2 I got it to work using a driver loader from Linuxant
(www.linuxant.com), which is in essence a wrapper that makes the Windows
driver work under Linux. When I first used it the Linuxant software came
with a 30 day trial and costs $19.95 for a permanent license thereafter
(provided that you can bring yourself to use for-pay proprietary software in
your open source OS). If you're comfortable with compiling your own software
I believe there is also an open source equivalent of this ("NDIS wrapper
project," IIRC).

HTH,
Bill

Bill Geschwind, CNE, MCSE
Technical Assistance Manager
Student Affairs Technology and Systems Support
03 Teague Hall, CB# 5510
(919) 962-5629
geschwin AT email.unc.edu
http://www.unc.edu/~geschwin