unclug - Re: [unclug] safari-view?

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Adam Constabaris <adamc AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] safari-view?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:24:30 -0500

Cristobal M Palmer wrote:

I thought I was going to impress my dad (a seasoned web designer) with my
first website, but it turns out my (shamelessly lifted) Java menu doo-dad
looks pretty darn bad in Safari.

So my real question:

Does anybody know how I can tell what my page will look like in Safari
(short of calling up my dad every time I revise my page)?

Is there a tool for that?

(Reminder: I'm using Debian GNU/Linux "Woody")

Safari is based on KHTML, which is the same "rendering engine" used in KDE's web/file browser, Konqueror. Konqueror will probably be installed if you have kde installed -- but make sure you have version 3.x of KDE. I don't remember what the package name is on debian, but apt-cache search kde should tell you all you need to know. There are likely to be some differences between any given version of Safari and any given version of Konqueror, but they'll be minor, so you should be able to use what Konqueror does as a fairly reliable guide to how Safari will do it. As a certified standards freak(tm), however, I urge you not to design for specific browsers, but to use standards-based HTML and CSS code at all times =)

One caveat, though, is that the range of plugins available on your Debian system is smaller than the one available on a Mac. So anything that relies on a plugin (this includes Java) may not work the same. However, provided Java is correctly installed on both platforms, the only difference *should* be that on the Mac OS, the look and feel of the Java stuff should match that of the other applications. [ did you mean Javascript? ]

HTH,

AC