typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Mo-Dettes

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT punkcast.com>
  • To: Typical Girls <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Mo-Dettes
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:25:05 -0400

Just last night I met up with an old pal I hadn't seen in 33 years or so and
he commented that my
interests hadn't perceptibly altered, I was always interested in music that
pushed the barriers.

I'll try and keep it germane to TG. I've always liked the diy aspect of
music and
the bands that are moving the center from the outside. The Fairies were a
later incarnation
of the Deviants who put out their own DIY single 'Let's loot the supermarket'
in 67. In 1970 the Fairies
were out playing shows for free - radical at the time - so I joined the team
for that summer
of anarchy, which included Phun City with the MC5 and Isle of Wight etc. What
is not widely
known is that the band at that time regularly featured female singers live,
namely Miss Pamela
and Miss Renee, members of the GTO's visiting from Los Angeles. Over time the
band established
a mode of operation, outrageous shows that caused got them banned, only to be
rebooked
at double the money that presaged much of punk rock. In fact, while say,
Lydon was a Hawkwind
fan, Little John of the Fairies taught Steve Jones most of what he knew.

It's a difference between the USA and the UK scenes that, while in the USA
punkers and hippies
were very distinct cultures with hippies being either tie-died aquarians or
redneck truck-driving types,
in the UK there was a proto-crusty commonality. Very evident in bands like
Androids Of Mu, and
even The Slits recorded Cut at Ridge Farm which was run by the Fairies
original PA guy.

An interesting thing about punk, diy, fanzines, badges etc is that they
presage much of the
P2P, user-generated culture that the rest of the world is still catching up
on via the net -
you could call it rock2.0 I suppose.

At a reading a couple of years back of a book 'The Politics of Joe Strummer'
- Chuck D. talked
about how, seeing the Clash at Bonds, he realized the there were barriers he
could bust, and
formed Public Enemy to do so. He wondered if now, there were any such left. I
responded that
today it's women, for the most part, that are breaking the new ground.
Watching the Slits play
a couple of weeks back, or Telepathe the week after, or Rings two days ago,
I'm constantly reminded of that.

joly

>Wow. WOW.
>I know about the Pink Fairies from their Pretty Things connection. Care to
>share any stories???
>
>How did your musical interests progress from there? I'm curious (still).
>- Lani

WWWhatsup NYC