typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Bands in the vein of YMG and Antena?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: mike AT appelstein.com
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Bands in the vein of YMG and Antena?
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 13:31:30 -0400

Definitely the Marine Girls. You can get their two albums, Beach Party and Lazy Ways, on one CD. It's easily available from what I can see.

Also Weekend, the band Alison Statton formed after YMG's breakup - Cherry Red just reissued their La Variete LP from 1982.

On the more obscure tip, there's an amazing EP by Instant Music that I found online several months back. I wish I knew more about them, but they're like YMG with a more overt electropop bent. You can download it here:

http://brotbeutel.blogspot.com/2006/08/instant-music.html

Happy listening,
Mike

Quoting Layla Gibbon <lpgibbon AT yahoo.com>:

--- Raven Baker <softgraffiti AT gmail.com> wrote:

Hey all!

I picked up the Antena 'Camino Del Sol' reissue from
Numero Group
earlier this year and recently got the Young Marble
Giants boxset.
While the bands have different sounds, there are
some similarities I
really dig: the cheap keyboards, staccatto beats and
of course, the
lady vocals. Are there other bands from that era,
early 80s, with a
similar sound I should check out?

thx
Raven