typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] SUBMIT BLURBS PLEASE! We're up to 22 must-haves!

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Daniel Selzer <danselzer AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] SUBMIT BLURBS PLEASE! We're up to 22 must-haves!
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 09:06:06 -0700 (PDT)

It's a shame there aren't full length CDs/CD comps of
Snatch, Neoboys, Petticoats etc...

Since Chuck brought it up, I had been thinking about
the issue of girl singers. On one hand, a lot of the
bands with female singers I suppose were def.
empowering, but at the same time is it important
enough to recommend a band which is basically some
boys adding that trendy girl singer for appeal...or
maybe it's all splitting hairs.

And some stuff that at first may seem to fall in the
camp would still be worthwhile based on the
significance of their contributions...not that they're
easily available on CD, but i.e. The Flying Lizards
which musically was mainly David Cunningham's bag but
the contributions of Vivienne Goldman and Patti
Pallidan for instance I think would make it relevant.

Anyway, one thing I'd like to add to the list is Tom
Tom Club. To long have they been considered a novely
side-project from some Talking Heads. Tina and Chris,
Tina's sisters, sly and robbie, some of the Talking
Heads touring band...they were pioneering in mixing
New Wave, Funk and Hip-Hop, had a few chart hits, and
created several all-time dancefloor classics.

I see the first album is up on iTunes...don't know
about the second or if they're in print on CD. People
should definitely look past the hits because both
albums are filled with gems. I've been DJing "This is
a Foxy World" from the second LP lately. If you're not
already turned on or think Genius of Love and Wordy
Rappinghood is where they stopped, go to iTunes right
now and check out L'Elephant and Lorelei.

-dan