typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] an update from the list moderator

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Dina Hornreich" <dina.hornreich AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] an update from the list moderator
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:53:40 -0600

Thanks, Sharon. Yes! I totally want to meet up now that I am closer to the West Coast.

That "Switch on the Power!" thing sounds great, too. We could pull that off stateside, I'd like to think.

It's too bad Beeber didn't interview you for his book. His chapter focuses mostly on two punk women Goldie (Genya Ravan) from Goldie and the Gingerbreads (whom he claim is the "earliest women-only rock band to be signed to a major label" but I've always thought Fanny had that feather in their cap) and Helen Wheels. He mentions Kathy Acker working with the Mekons and Annie Sprinkle's collaboration with Lydia Lunch. He also mentions some inane rantings of Courtney Love (like, if Kurt had "a little Jew[ish]" part to him, he might've "stuck it out") and her like-mindedness to the apparently Jewish Nancy Sungeon. His discussion eventually leads into some talk about riot grrrl including Kathleen Hanna (who may or may not be Jewish, he doesn't know -- and he says that she denies it altogether which is enough for me), and Sleater Kinney's Carrie Weinstein and Janet Weiss. He then mentions Heeb magazine founder, Jennifer Bleyer, and eventually concludes the chapter by quoting X-Ray Spex. See some holes?

-Dina

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharon Cheslow" <decomposition AT mindspring.com>