typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] postpunk videos on dvd?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: mustard hooves <mustardhooves AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] postpunk videos on dvd?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:45:19 -0700 (PDT)

Howdy-

Just picked up a Slits bootleg DVD at the Austin
Record Convention called (what else?) "Wanna be a
Typical Girl". Although I don't usually go for that
sort of thing, it's of nicer quality than one would
expect, and has pretty much everything Slits on film I
had run across before (Punk Rock Movie, Girls Bite
Back, The Punk Years) along with a lot more I hadn't.
Included is the "Slits movie" which is essentially
videos for most of the songs off "Cut" shot by Don
Letts including a weird live improv Ari rap to the dub
of "Spend Spend Spend" in a packed reggae club. Add
some early Palmolive footage and more contemporary
interviews with Viv and Ari (on the beach in Jamacia
looking very Strawberry Switchblade-esque polkadotty,
except with big-ass dreads) and it's a lot of Slits
for your buck. Highly recommmended if it crosses your
path.

Anyways if you need any for the program let me know,
and of course I'm not above sharing/trading with the
rest of you lovely list members.

Kelly