typicalgirls - RE: [TypicalGirls] FW: You Can Download Dolly Mixture Stuff Here...

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Mike Appelstein" <mike AT appelstein.com>
  • To: Daniel Selzer <danselzer AT yahoo.com>, pascale amzallou <pascaleamz AT yahoo.com>, typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [TypicalGirls] FW: You Can Download Dolly Mixture Stuff Here...
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 08:29:07 -0400

See, I admit my own hypocrisy here as well. I downloaded the BBC
sessions, thereby taking $$ away from the copyright owner, and if I
didn't have Demonstration Tapes, I'd have downloaded that too. I'm
enough of a Dolly Mixture fan that of course I'd buy the legit version,
too. I do think the situation here is different from the Desperate
Bicycles. If I understand correctly, the Deperate Bicycles have
expressly refused *any* reissuing. I think that opens up more of a
case (albeit one that would not stand up in court) for sharing the
music. But Dolly Mixture has never shut the door on a reissue
project. Debsey, at least, has been approached more than once, and has
never said no - in fact, she's been amenable to such a project for
awhile. I wish she, Rachel and Hester would work faster on getting it
done. But it's clear that at least some of the band members see some
value in those old recordings. I don't know. I wonder if, rather than
heighten their motivation to get a proper reissue off the ground, this
would kill it entirely.

I don't know. It's a thorny issue, and it's not if my hands are clean,
either. Maybe Slim or Erin or Jason, who've actually worked on such
reissue projects, have some opinions?

-Mike