typicalgirls - RE: [TypicalGirls] FW: You Can Download Dolly Mixture Stuff Here...

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: pascale amzallou <pascaleamz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [TypicalGirls] FW: You Can Download Dolly Mixture Stuff Here...
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:12:45 -0700 (PDT)

The BBC and live material is just as copyrighted as
the
Demonstration Tapes, so on that basis your dilemma is
a little askew. In fact, that the band own the DTs at
least puts their failure to license that material on
their
own doorsteps, particularly as they have knowledge
that
people are interested. You can't say the same for the
BBC necessarily!

But as to the bigger question, take a look at the Dave
Clark Five.

In one of the smartest moves in pop history, ol' Dave
signed a deal which allowed for master ownership to
revert to him after a period of years. He could have
made a fortune off this, as the market for '60s pop /
rock never really diminished, and the DC5 were one of
the bigger and better-loved bands of the era.

But Dave waited to license his material. And waited
some more. Finally, at the dawn of the CD age, he
started "offering" his catalog for Beatles-like
prices.
A bit over the top. No one bit, so in one of the
dumber
moves in rock history, Dave just waited some more.
And
waited. And waited. Finally, he licensed a greatest
hits
comp to whet the appetites of labels for a complete
catalog reissue program, a la the Beach Boys, Beatles
or
Kinks. But he waited too long - the set didn't sell
very
well, and with the advent of SoundScan, it was easy
for
otherwise interested labels to see that there was no
longer much of an audience for the DC5 - with the
band's
material out of print for so long, most people had
simply
forgotten about them.

Incredibly and stupidly bitter at the world for
basically
having written himself out of history, Dave Clark
still
refuses to license his material, and is now one
probably
the most forgotten of 60's pop heroes, at least
relative
to his earlier fame.

I think that keeping the material out there is what
keeps
interest in an artist's work alive. This is probably
especially true with a more obscure act such as Dolly
Mixture, so frankly, you should encourage people to
download it and spread the word! There is not really
any solid evidence that downloading kills sales, in
fact
many artists (especially more obscure ones) believe
quite the opposite.

And why should you feel guilty, Mike? I'm sure you'd
buy
a reissue the day it was issued, regardless of whether
you'd already downloaded it!

Pascale