typicalgirls - Fw: Re: [TypicalGirls] YMG @ Harrah DVD

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Mike Appelstein" <mike AT appelstein.com>
  • To: TypicalGirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Fw: Re: [TypicalGirls] YMG @ Harrah DVD
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:22:20 -0400

I bought it right away. It's umm, interesting! I don't
> think you're friend had much to work with, it's a bit
> dark, and needless to say, YMG weren't the most
> animated band! If you want to watch Allison kind of
> stand there at the mic and sing, it's a good purchase.
> At some point she takes here jacket off.

I haven't seen the DVD yet. I just cashed in a ton of old LPs and
promo CDs at my local used record emporium, and asked them to order
this for me. My understanding, though, is that it's the same material
as on the original Live at The Hurrah! video. Which means that it's,
uh, darkly-lit. But obviously, those of us who ever obsessed over the
band need to see it. The rough quality actually adds to its
mystique...sort of how Ian Curtis looks trapped by the camera in _Here
Are the Young Men_.

There's a nice clip of YMG's "Include Me Out" on one of Target Video's
_Underground Forces_ collections from way back. And I've got a
RealVideo clip of "NITA" on my site. :)

<< it seems just about every show at harrah was filmed..>>

Someone purchase the rights to those archives and start releasing them,
quick! That sounds like a historical goldmine. Or maybe Hilary could
start a TR3 series. :)

-Mike