typicalgirls - RE: [TypicalGirls] rock goddess

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Yana Chupenko" <yana AT tonytina.com>
  • To: <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [TypicalGirls] rock goddess
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:28:06 -0400

Rock Godess was a fantastic all girl rock/metal band - they were very
young played like metal/rock maniacs and wrote good songs. Inspiring,
but unfortunately they were around at a time when all girl metal/rock
bands could only reach a certain level of popularity (I guess he meant
in terms of sales) as opposed to their male counterparts!!! I remember
a record industry execs telling me in the 80's and then again in the
90's that all girl metal, rock, punk bands have a glass ceiling of
success unless they sell sex and become pop oriented or as a singer to
get male back up band to be taken seriously. So many great all female
acts bit the dust.

-Yana