treq-nm - [TREQ-NM] Copper Canyon geology ride, Sunday Nov. 2

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: "Debbie Spickermann" <d_obermaier AT cybermesa.com>
  • To: "'Trail building equestrians of New Mexico'" <treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TREQ-NM] Copper Canyon geology ride, Sunday Nov. 2
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:50:40 -0600

The date has been set, it is Nov 2 and the weather is supposed to stay mild through the weekend
The price is $20 and we will meet behind the Abiquiu Elementary School. Bring horse water (at your truck)
a lunch, and enjoy the views.
Our Geologist, Kirt Kempter, is from the Santa Fe Community College and has been mapping the area for the
USGS and is very knowledgeable about the area. Copper Canyon's claim to fame is the largest fossil insect ever
discovered is from there. While they don't have the actual insect, they have the footprints. It was something
like a centipede, six feet long and 2 feet around! The are many fossils in the canyon, copper mines, (which we'll
visit) Petroglyphs, and ruins. I don't know if we'll be able to see everything as the canyon is big and I don't know
how spread out everything is.
I will try to supply everyone with a map and some background info on the canyon for the trip. We are already up
to 25 riders,including the geo. I would like to see this become an annual event since there appears to be so much interest.
Please let me know if you plan to attend. Please use my email address for RSVP:
info AT equine-escapes.com
Thanks, and hope to see you there!

Debra Spickermann
Equine Escapes ,L.L.C.