treq-nm - Re: [TREQ-NM] Continental Divide Trail

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: "Debbie Spickermann" <d_obermaier AT cybermesa.com>
  • To: "'Trail building equestrians of New Mexico'" <treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TREQ-NM] Continental Divide Trail
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:51:24 -0600

A scoping letter is a letter sent out to users of trails to identify their
areas of interest. (i.e. Horseback riding, hiking,
fishing, etc.) These letters are typically sent to interest groups,
individuals, and others. The scoping letter is then used
to determine interest and can be used to exclude certain types of users such
as horseback riders, if that group is not represented
fully, either by showing disinterest in an area or not being polled in the
first place.
The new section of the CDT, slated for work this summer/fall, is the area in
the Rio Chama Wilderness, from Skull Bridge to
Mesa de las Viejas, connecting to the trail already in place and one that
the BCH regularly maintains. I was shocked to find out
that horses/equestrians would not automatically be included as users of the
new trail, when we have a history of use in the area, and maintain it as
well.
The scoping letter needs to be read, and equestrians need to made aware of
the proposals. It is my understanding that scoping
letters will go out to a cross section of users and to those who request it.
If enough equestrians are sampled, horses will then
be part of the proposed users.
I have cut and pasted a portion of the email response I received from John
Phillips below:

"
Thank you for your e-mail indicating your interest in having the San Joaquin
portion of the CD Trail horse/trail rider accessible. At this time we are
considering horse accessibility as part of the proposed action; however, we
have not finalized the proposal.

I must clarify that even though I spoke to Debra about it, we have yet to
begin scoping with the public at large. We would like to begin scoping
soon. If you would like, please provide us a mailing address and we'll make
sure you receive the scoping letter."

To answer your other question, yes the Santa Fe Chapter of the BCH has a
work ride scheduled this weekend at the Rio Medio trail, leaving from the
Borrego Mesa Campground. (6-28,6-29)

Also, the weekend of the 12-13 July on the Vacas Trail near the San Gregorio
Res. in San Pedro Parks.

Both of these trails and their descriptions can be found in the book "Saddle
Up, New Mexico"
Many Thanks and Happy Trails,

Debra Spickermann
Equine Escapes, L.L.C.