treq-nm - Re: [TREQ-NM] introduction

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: "Debbie Spickermann" <d_obermaier AT cybermesa.com>
  • To: "'Trail building equestrians of New Mexico'" <treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TREQ-NM] introduction
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 19:18:18 -0600

Hello to all,
A little about me. I'm consider myself both a resource and a fellow rider.
I have operated Equine Escapes for the past 4 years
as an outlet for those riders who might be traveling without their own
horses to be able to explore the wonderful New Mexico
backcountry. In addition, I also am available as a guide with your own
horse. I love to show people what our great state has to offer, and try to
have knowledge about the back country, specializing in our northwestern 1/3.
I have been the president of the Back Country Horsemen's assoc. of the Santa
Fe Chapter for the past two years. I have the entire state on CD Rom.
available as maps downloadable to a garmin E-Trex or other compatible
program. I also have several local 7.5 minute quad maps for reference
and a untapped wealth of knowledge through the membership of the BCH. One of
our members has already been in touch, Marie Griffith
from Taos.
If any of you need any info I an able to procure, please send me an email. I
will query our members.

If any of you are interested in CDT work, there will be a scoping letter
coming out soon. I encourage you to contact
John C. Phillips at the Coyote Ranger station and ask to be included to the
scoping letter recipients lists.
As you may know, the work on the Continental Divide Trail continues and
horse access is not a given action. In fact, they are
considering horse accessibility as part of the proposed action, but nothing
is in stone. It is up for debate.
I thought, since BCH had already adopted a part of the CDT, that would give
us all horse back riders access to all of the CDT.
Not so, We have to fight for every inch.
So here is John's contact info:
Please ask to be included on the mailing list of the scoping letter and
include your name, mailing address, and email contact info.
John C. Phillips
Resource Planning Staff
Coyote Ranger Station, Santa Fe NF
jcphillips AT fs.fed.us
(505) 638-5526
FAX 638-5351
Make sure you state you are a horseback rider who uses all of the state
resources for trail riding, including the CDT.
If you are active in any trail maintenance, building, or work of any kind,
be sure to include that too! As Una Smith says,
many of us are working in relative isolation. Let's make sure our voice is
heard!

Debra Spickermann
Equine Escapes, L.L.C.