tcrp-news - [tcrp-news] TCRP news for 24 October 2005

tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Tompkins County Relocalization Project

  • From: News related to the TCRP <tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: tcrp-news AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [tcrp-news] TCRP news for 24 October 2005
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:38:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hello tcrp-news list,

The welcome message that I sent a short time ago seems to have
gotten through, so here's the news.

INITIAL PUBLICITY: LIVING IN DRYDEN

First public exposure for the TCRP came with an article on the
Living in Dryden site:

http://livingindryden.org/archives/2005_10.html

(See the entry for October 9 under the heading "Looking forward
to the economy of the 2010s.") Many thanks to TCRP contributor
Simon St.Laurent for this! For those of you not familiar with
the Living in Dryden site, I highly recommend it; I check the
site every day even though I live in the Town of Ithaca and
Simon's focus is (surprise) on the Town of Dryden. It would be
wonderful if all the towns in Tompkins County were equally well
served.

OTHER PUBLICITY

Messages relating to the TCRP coming in from as far away as
Sweden had me puzzled until one of the correspondents tipped me
off to a listing on energybulletin.net; see

http://energybulletin.net/9956.html

The Swedish correspondent pointed me to his own web site on
what he calls "ruralisation":

http://www.holon.se/folke/

I haven't had a chance to check this out yet, but it does look
interesting. The author charges for some of the content; I'm
not sure whether to be offended by this or to admire him for
his own version of economic sustainability.

A couple of other correspondents pointed out that the TCRP
may serve as a template for similar local projects, which of
course is part of the idea.

STARTING THE PROJECT

As I made clear in my initial call for participants, the TCRP
is basically a research and writing project. The people who
have committed to helping out and the research areas they
intend to focus on include:

Bethany Schroeder (Health care)
Simon St.Laurent (Transportation and emergency services)
Judy Cone (Agriculture and local food production)
Terry Moore (research area TBD)
Marty Hiller (research area TBD)
Denise Mooney (logistical assistance)
Jon Bosak (editing and site maintenance)

If you know someone who might be interested in participating,
please point them to the TCRP web site. The fact that someone
has signed up for a particular area doesn't mean that more
people aren't welcome to join them; if we get more than one
person interested in a given area, we'll form a team.

Since we are all very busy people and will have to carve out
the time for this project in bits and pieces, I don't expect it
to move very quickly. An initial meeting will be held right
after Thanksgiving in order to avoid local elections and to
accommodate an industry conference in mid-November that a
couple of us will be attending in Atlanta. Stay tuned to this
list for further details.

Jon

  • [tcrp-news] TCRP news for 24 October 2005, News related to the TCRP, 10/24/2005