sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] kernel compilation + initrd

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr AT gmail.com>
  • To: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org, SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] kernel compilation + initrd
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:39:06 -0600

On 3/18/07, David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 3/18/07, Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr AT gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hmm, I tried casting klibc unsuccessfully:
> > >
> > > [...]
> >
> > Yeah that's because klibc builds against the kernel version there it
> > needs to be updated to 1.5... I'm doing this now in test grimoire you
> > are fine to just change /var/lib/sorcery/codex/test/libs/klibc/DETAILS
> > to version 1.5 and I've verified that it works. Yeah sometimes I
> > forget to update stuff like klibc that compiles against the newest
> > kernel to make sure it works. The binaries work just fine but you
> > don't have those ;).
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback I'm putting some of the fixes you brought up
> > in the last email in the linux-initramfs spell (mkinitrd etc) now. You
> > should be able to get them < 6hours or so.
> >
> > - David Brown
>
> The 1.5 version change was right, only thing you pointed out testing,
> and the stable version, which is the one I'm using, required the
> change as well...
>
> I'll try initrd later then, in a few hours, :).

Ooo okay if you have stable this may need a little more work then,
might need to integrate the version bump for klibc to stable grimoire
then.

Thanks,
- David Brown

Hi.

Just to inform that I finally generated an initrd image that could be
loaded at boot, which instantiated successfully the ext2/ext3 FS's, so
they don't longer need to be compiled built in. So for desktops it
looks OK.

Bad news for me at least, is that the initrd image generated does not
support kernel suspend to disk, I don't know about the user suspend to
disk which I don't use any ways. so for laptops the initrd suipport
is not yet there, :(.

I'll continue without initrd until it's indicated it supports kernel
suspend to disk...

Thanks a lot David,

--
Javier