sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] What Version Should I Be Using To Help With Testing

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • Cc: Source Mage Users Mailing List <SM-Users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] What Version Should I Be Using To Help With Testing
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:12:16 -0700

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 10:05:08AM -0500, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> Fellow SMGL enthusiasts,
>
> I'm still working my way through an initial Source Mage install on my test
> box. I've hit a few snags, some of which might be my own fault. So, I'd
> want to go through the process again making careful notes before reporting
> any problems. Anyway, I see several items marked as [DONE] on the "Road Map
> towards 1.0" page. Are the items marked as [DONE] included in the 0.9.6
> ISO? I think I've had a problem with one item in particular:
>
> Sorcery supports full dependency ordering [DONE]

You aren't having a problem with this. This is full tree dependency
ordering. If a spell is broken, sorcery did its best to skip things
further down the tree branch that won't build to your specs due to the
dependency being missing. What makes full tree ordering nice is that
when you cast an update to an existing install, things like xfce, which
depend on build order will not only install in the correct order, but
update in the correct order too (it takes into account existing as well
as new packages for determining dependency order).

> After the initial install, rebuild, and system-update I tried casting
> kde-profile in hopes of checking out Source Mage's GUI system. For the most
> part I use console-based apps but installing KDE gives any source-based
> distribution a thurough workout. Several spells needed X libraries and I
> selected xorg each time I was prompted to choose an X server. Then, sorcery
> tried to cast some of the spells that needed X before casting xorg. The end
> result was that some spells failed causing many others to be skipped. So,
> now I've got an xorg cast running. I'm guessing sorcery should have cast
> the spells in the appropriate dependency order.

bugzilla might have these already listed. KDE is not maintained by any
single maintainer that I'm aware of so it's not likely to succeed.
Gnome tends to be better at building reliably. What grimoire did you
actually use?

> Would a new user reporting problems with the 0.9.6 ISO help the Source Mage
> team in moving towards the 1.0 release?

Once it's installed, it's likely not a problem with the 0.9.6 iso. Even
if it is, we often work around it anyways. So far I don't think you've
mentioned a problem with the ISO in this email.

> If not, what would be the best way
> for me to help? I'm not quite ready to convert my main box to SMGL yet.
> Since I'm running SMGL on a test box there's no problem running an unstable
> test version.

stable-rc grimoire is what you want to run. It's what will become
stable once it's tested and fixed up. test is the very bleeding edge.

Seth