sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] Xorg crashes constantly

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Jackson Alley <toomanymirrors AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] Xorg crashes constantly
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:15:59 -0800

Try blackbox for a while and see if you can repeat it. There are errors
coming from the desktop manager for xfce. Also, you can go to whatever
invokes xfdesktop (maybe xinitrc) and have it restart xfce4 in a loop
with a short sleep statement. Once you've confirmed it is X's fault,
that would help. About the md5sum errors, those shouldn't exist. Have
you found respective bugs for them in bugzilla?

Seth

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:52:31AM -0500, Jackson Alley wrote:
> I'm currently running a patched 2.6.9 kernel, gcc 3.4.3, glibc 2.3.4,
> xorg 6.8.2, test grimoire, devel sorcery, ARCHITECTURE="x86_32",
> OPTIMIZATIONS="combreloc prelink speedy strip ", nvidia_driver,
> via82xx sound. XFCE4 will start up fine, but only some applications
> will work at all and even those can sometimes cause crashes of X
> session. Firefox will work, but if I open the download manager the
> whole X session crashes. Sylpheed, mrxvt, liferea, rhythmbox, k3b, etc
> all cause instant X crashes with error like [1].
> I have sucessfully rebuilt every package 4 times now, but am unable to
> fix this. I'm getting desperate to get a working X server so any
> suggestions are very welcome. If there is any other info that would
> help in figuring out what is going wrong let me know. Cleanse --fix
> has also been run many times, but md5sum errors in Xorg cause that to
> always be seen as broken and nfs-utils and windowmaker also seem to
> cast fine, but cleanse -fix marks them as broken. Other than that
> every thing seems fine. My hosts.def is [2].
> Jackson

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00BA3AF3
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org