sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] SMGL-0.8.1

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Joe Menola <menola AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] SMGL-0.8.1
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:45:09 -0600

On Monday 19 January 2004 6:50 pm, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Joe Menola <menola AT mailsnare.net>:
> > I did a fresh install from the latest iso (0.8.1), a few questions
> > regarding
> >
> > fstab....
> >

> > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> > devfs /dev devfs defaults 0 0
> > #tmpfs /var/lock tmpfs defaults 0 0
> > #tmpfs /var/run tmpfs defaults 0 0
> > #tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,size=256m,nr_inodes=64m
> > 0 0
> >
> > /dev/discs/disc0/part12 / reiserfs
> > defaults,notail,noatime 0 1
> > /dev/discs/disc0/part5 none swap defaults 0 2
> > /dev/discs/disc0/part9 /home reiserfs
> > defaults,notail,noatime 0 2
> > <<<
> >
> > devfs mounted by fstab? Isn't that kernel or lilo's job?
>
> Well, LILO (with 'append='devfs=mount"') will tell the kernel to put the
> DevFS on /dev for you, or if you tell the kernel to automount it, IIRC, so
> I'm not sure if the 'devfs' line is optional or not. If you feel
> adventuresome you could comment it out, reboot, and report back if it still
> works or whether it broke. ;)

I had setup LILO to mount devfs, and fstab's try to 2nd mount it produced an
error message (not a show stopper), so I removed fstab entry. And devfs is
working fine.

> > Where's devpts?
>
> Some say that devpts is not needed, however, I have found that without
> devpts GNOME and KDE terminals don't like to work as they should (they
> won't even open for me).

Then it should be there, yes? I've never tried to run without it. I've just
always seen it there, so I added it. I'll have to play with it more after X/
KDE is installed.

> > The installer warns when compiling kernel to include tmpfs support, so
> > why is
> >
> > it commented out?
>
> The 'tmpfs' support is to replace the 'shm' support for /dev/shm's shared
> memory, which isn't used, IIRC.

Does it run well commented out? ;)
Excuse me if this make me appear as dumb as I am, but what is "IIRC" ?

> > Sorry if this isn't the proper list...but hey, that's me :)
> > I'm sure there'll be more q's as I continue to build this system, so if
> > this
> >
> > isn't the place, where is?
>
> This works. ;)

If it works, work it...I always say :)