sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] SMGL-0.8.1

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] SMGL-0.8.1
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:50:33 -0800

Quoting Joe Menola <menola AT mailsnare.net>:
> I did a fresh install from the latest iso (0.8.1), a few questions regarding
>
> fstab....
>

> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> devfs /dev devfs defaults 0 0
> #tmpfs /var/lock tmpfs defaults 0 0
> #tmpfs /var/run tmpfs defaults 0 0
> #tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,size=256m,nr_inodes=64m
> 0 0
>
> /dev/discs/disc0/part12 / reiserfs
> defaults,notail,noatime 0 1
> /dev/discs/disc0/part5 none swap defaults 0 2
> /dev/discs/disc0/part9 /home reiserfs
> defaults,notail,noatime 0 2
> <<<
>
> devfs mounted by fstab? Isn't that kernel or lilo's job?

Well, LILO (with 'append='devfs=mount"') will tell the kernel to put the DevFS
on /dev for you, or if you tell the kernel to automount it, IIRC, so I'm not
sure if the 'devfs' line is optional or not. If you feel adventuresome you
could comment it out, reboot, and report back if it still works or whether it
broke. ;)

> Where's devpts?

Some say that devpts is not needed, however, I have found that without devpts
GNOME and KDE terminals don't like to work as they should (they won't even
open
for me).

> The installer warns when compiling kernel to include tmpfs support, so why
> is
>
> it commented out?

The 'tmpfs' support is to replace the 'shm' support for /dev/shm's shared
memory, which isn't used, IIRC.

> Sorry if this isn't the proper list...but hey, that's me :)
> I'm sure there'll be more q's as I continue to build this system, so if this
>
> isn't the place, where is?

This works. ;)

> -jm

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61