sm-users - [SM-Users] (no subject)

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Ken McLennan" <ruadh AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: "sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Users] (no subject)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:2:10 +1000

G'day sm-users,

I've discovered (or re-discovered) a problem that I thought I'd
solved awhile ago. I previously had SM installed with XFree86, and working
fine on the WindowMaker manager. It was installed from:

SM-ISO-beta2.iso
Linux kernel 2.4.19

I then upgraded my motherboard & processor, and installed WinXP (I
can't get rid of Win just yet) as my new processor spat the dummy at '98.
Various reshuffles of partitions took place during this exercise, and SM was
removed for reinstallation.

I downloaded the SMGL-Release-0.6-beta.iso, Linux kernel 2.4.20-xfs,
and installed. I had difficulty locating & compiling source for the newer
kernel. I don't know what the reason was, but couldn't be bothered chasing it
up as it was much simpler to reinstall the older one. This was done
successfully and I now have the first ISO reinstalled and running fine.

The problem I now have again is with my dialup connection. I've set
it up again via the 'quickppp' utility and all the setting seem to be OK.
However when I run 'pon' I get a connection but it drops offline immediately.
It did this the first time I installed, but was able to fix it then. I can't
now recall what I did, nor can I figure it out.

My 'connect-errors' file in /etc/ppp shows the following:

----------------------
Dialing ISP.
ATZ
OK
Waiting up to 2 minutes for connection.

ATDT(correct number here)
CONNECT
Connection established.
115200
User Access Verification

Username: ruadh
Password:
Transmitted username and password.
----------------------

I believe from this that I'm connecting and sending both Username &
Password correctly (the script has the correct password). But it's not
staying connected from that point on. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've included the '/etc/ppp/chat/isp', ' /etc/ppp/peers/isp' &
'/etc/ppp/options' files below. Also, '/etc/resolv.conf' is correct, although
I still haven't figured out whether I actually need it or not. Hope this
points to something.

Thanks,
Ken
Brisbane, Australia

"/etc/ppp/chat/isp"
------------------------
ABORT 'BUSY'
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
ABORT 'VOICE'
ABORT 'NO DIALTONE'
ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE'
ABORT 'NO ANSWER'
'' ATZ
SAY "\n Dialing ISP.\n"
OK-AT-OK ATDT38729855
TIMEOUT 120
SAY "\n Waiting up to 2 minutes for connection.\n"
CONNECT ''
SAY "\n Connection established.\n"
sername: ruadh
ssword: kruadh
SAY "\n Transmitted username and password.\n"
'' \d\c

"/etc/ppp/peers/isp"
--------------------------
noauth
/dev/modem
115200
defaultroute
usepeerdns
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -e -f /etc/ppp/chat/isp"

"/etc/ppp/options"
-----------------------
lock
asyncmap 0
crtscts
modem
defaultroute
user ruadh
/dev/ttyS0 115200
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -t 60 -f /etc/ppp/chatscript'

Best regards.

Ken McLennan
ruadh AT tpg.com.au
2003-09-21