sm-users - Re: [SM-Grimoire] Re: [SM-Users] tinderboxes

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, Source Mage - Grimoire <sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Source Mage - Users <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Grimoire] Re: [SM-Users] tinderboxes
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:19:59 -0700

> > 1 make a list of excluded/base spells
> > 2 make a (big) list of all spells to be tested (excluding excluded/base
> > system spell)
> > 3 pick some random number of things from that list and remove them from
> > it (probably storing it elsewhere for book keeping), shuffle this list
> > for kicks (i even have a script for this already!)
> > 4 cast them all, emailing about any failed cast, and lots of state info
>
> I though casting spells that depend on the "installed one" important too,
> check for downwards compatibility? but i think you are right the original
> queue will need to be randomised in some way...

well i guess the unstated assumption here is that we build our list of
things to cast (pretend you are a newbie). So we type cast <list o' stuff>
then cast does its thing and builds dependancies (cast already does it
(how well i know...)). The idea is for maximal newbie simulation. We
can of course derive what cast was doing, so everything is good, but
the point is not to give sorcery any help. This will also in fact cast
some thing repeatedly, but then again if they are dependancies maybe
they ought to be tested more rigourously?

> > 5 after they all finish dispel "everything" (ie return to a known state)
>
> yes, but i just realised i left out cast --fix at this stage to see if
> anything important has been dispelled, if it has then we grep the install
> log
> dir and send that out via email also...

That reminds me, I was figuring doing a 'find' before and a 'find' after we
dispel stuff, along with some gratuitous md5sum checking, then comparing,
and emailing with problems.

> > I tend to write many small scripts and programs, most of the list
> > processing junk I was doing in perl because its good at that stuff,
> > the more casting oriented stuff I would do in bash. All lists ought to
> > be written out to disk so that things can be recovered and continued in
> > the event of a power failure.
>
> Yep every step needs to log itself, but as for writing the code i had yet
> even start on that, i have trouble typing my own name so was going to keep
> it
> simple by using bash and bugging everyone else to help me :-)

/me has been munching code for breakfast. Bow before an army of ME!
care to join ;)

> > Im willing to collaborate (IRC meeting?) about this with all interested
> > parties. Maybe we could agree on a design, divide up the coding, toss
> > ideas around and such. Maybe we ought to setup an ad-hoc temporary team
> > for this while we develop it.
>
> If a team is what takes your fancy, then sure, can we call it "The
> FireBrigade" ?

I figured it'd be motivational and organizational and stuff.

> > A side note idea I had was to make yet another script that would create
> > a chroot simulation smgl system. Then those of us who feel like donating
> > our cycles could help.
>
> i know next to nothing about clustering so bow to you on this

theres not much clustering really...just mkdir;cp;chroot;tinderbox.sh