sm-users - Re: [SM-Grimoire] Re: [SM-Users] tinderboxes

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, Source Mage - Grimoire <sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Source Mage - Users <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Grimoire] Re: [SM-Users] tinderboxes
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:03:14 +1000

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:39, Andrew wrote:
> I started some work on this but got distracted/discouraged, here is what
> I came up with in a rough nutshell (walnut?).

Yes it is daunting for me too

> 1 make a list of excluded/base spells
> 2 make a (big) list of all spells to be tested (excluding excluded/base
> system spell)
> 3 pick some random number of things from that list and remove them from
> it (probably storing it elsewhere for book keeping), shuffle this list
> for kicks (i even have a script for this already!)
> 4 cast them all, emailing about any failed cast, and lots of state info

I though casting spells that depend on the "installed one" important too, to
check for downwards compatibility? but i think you are right the original
queue will need to be randomised in some way...

> 5 after they all finish dispel "everything" (ie return to a known state)

yes, but i just realised i left out cast --fix at this stage to see if
anything important has been dispelled, if it has then we grep the install log
dir and send that out via email also...

> 6 update sorcery and grimoire, add missing (but not already tested and
> not excluded spells to list of things to cast)
> 7 repeat 3,4,5 and 6 until everything in the big list is gone. Send some
> email or something and goto 1
>
> Pretty straight forward.
>
> Im sure everyone has slightly different opinions on how this should
> work. Keep in mind that we do in fact want to get through everything,
> and that I was envisioning multiple tinderboxes.

You can have any colour you want , ... as long as it is black!

> I figured the randomness ought to make things a little more realistic
> and weed out more bugs. It also make having multiple tinderboxes more
> effective because they may find different bugs and will have greater
> coverage of the entire grimoire, otherwise they become redundant and the
> fastest tinderbox gets all the bug reports, followed by n-1 redundant
> ones.

Yes i think you are right, every tinderbox reproducing the same bugs would be
slightly useless.

> I tend to write many small scripts and programs, most of the list
> processing junk I was doing in perl because its good at that stuff,
> the more casting oriented stuff I would do in bash. All lists ought to
> be written out to disk so that things can be recovered and continued in
> the event of a power failure.

Yep every step needs to log itself, but as for writing the code i had yet to
even start on that, i have trouble typing my own name so was going to keep it
simple by using bash and bugging everyone else to help me :-)

> Im willing to collaborate (IRC meeting?) about this with all interested
> parties. Maybe we could agree on a design, divide up the coding, toss
> ideas around and such. Maybe we ought to setup an ad-hoc temporary team
> for this while we develop it.

If a team is what takes your fancy, then sure, can we call it "The
FireBrigade" ?

> A side note idea I had was to make yet another script that would create
> a chroot simulation smgl system. Then those of us who feel like donating
> our cycles could help.

i know next to nothing about clustering so bow to you on this

> I think this will make our manpower a lot more effective/automated if
> some portion of us do this. Just imagine the bugs we can produce!

i would expect to significantly increase stability from this, i look forward
to it....
Hamish