sm-users - [SM-Users] An idea to improve our ability to include new spells...

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: David Pradier <pradierdavid AT yahoo.fr>
  • To: <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Users] An idea to improve our ability to include new spells...
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:04:08 +0100

Is it possible to make an engine on the website www.sourcemage.org to propose
new spells ?

Let me describe how it could work :
Somebody with a new spell uploads it to the website, compressed, selects in
which section(s) it should go, and gives his email address.
The engine uncompresses it, based on the extension, and puts it in a new
codex
named something like "proposed" ; the tarball is re-calculated and available
for everybody, just like "test" or "devel" or "stable".

Of course, it would need the possibility to use different codex at the same
time ; can we ? If not, are subsections possible ?

Why is it better than our current system ?
Currently, we can grab the proposed spells on the mailing-list, generally i
wait for the official version, only because it's boring to go through the
process save/uncompress/move before being able to test it ; and when i do a
system-update, the spell has disappeared !
And i don't always look for new spells, as a user. And sometimes, i think,
"wow, it should be cool to test it, but i just haven't the time right now"
and after, i have forgotten it.
So, it would mean that every user could test new spells, and so, we would
have
better tests than only the one of the maintainer :-) (i don't mean that
maintainers make bad test, but every computer is different, isn't it ;-) ?)
For the maintainers, it would be easier (i think) to see and test
automatically a spell waiting in their section :-) ; no need to parse the
mailing-list.
And we know that sometimes, some spells aren't seen by the maintainer, just
because mailing-list isn't the best tool for this, i think.

I don't propose to implement this myself, because i wouldn't know where to
begin.
Do you think it's a good idea ? Do you think it's hard to implement ?
What do you think ?

David/day