sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] Install via PPP

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Pierre Abbat <phma AT webjockey.net>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] Install via PPP
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 00:53:37 -0500

On Sunday 05 January 2003 00:42, Ken McLennan wrote:
> G'day there SourceMage folk,
>
> I'd like to consider myself amongst the throng of SourceMage users,
> but
> that can't be done until I get it fully installed. To date, that's been
> giving me grief so I turn to you for advice & assistance (being a relative
> newbie to Linux I often ask for help <g> ).
>
> So far I've successfully downloaded and burnt the .iso image from
> which I
> then (again successfully) installed SourceMage onto the partitions I had
> prepared. So far so good. The kernel compiled and installed, as did the ppp
> package which I chose for my installing method. I now have a very basic
> console system that seems to run just fine. However it's when I try using
> the suggested "sorcery update" command that problems arise. I use the
> supplied "pon" to get things running, the system tells me that compression
> is installed, but after that "sorcery update" tells me that it can't locate
> the desired package. I've tried ignoring the "update" and just casting
> individual spells, but that gave me the same result:
>
> resolving download.sourcemage.org... failed: host not found
>
> also, I can't ping anything except localhost (if I couldn't find
> *that*
> I'd be really worried).

If you can't ping anything by name, here's an easy number to remember:
193.0.0.193. That's a name server at RIPE. If you can ping RIPE, but can't
ping something by name, your name server setting is wrong. Find a name server
you can use and stick it in /etc/resolv.conf.

The syslog in SourceMage is syslog-ng.

phma