sm-users - [SM-Users] Install via PPP

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Ken McLennan" <kenrmcl AT aardvark.net.au>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Users] Install via PPP
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 15:42:29 +1000

G'day there SourceMage folk,

I'd like to consider myself amongst the throng of SourceMage users,
but that can't be done until I get it fully installed. To date, that's been
giving me grief so I turn to you for advice & assistance (being a relative
newbie to Linux I often ask for help <g> ).

So far I've successfully downloaded and burnt the .iso image from
which I then (again successfully) installed SourceMage onto the partitions I
had prepared. So far so good. The kernel compiled and installed, as did the
ppp package which I chose for my installing method. I now have a very basic
console system that seems to run just fine. However it's when I try using the
suggested "sorcery update" command that problems arise. I use the supplied
"pon" to get things running, the system tells me that compression is
installed, but after that "sorcery update" tells me that it can't locate the
desired package. I've tried ignoring the "update" and just casting individual
spells, but that gave me the same result:

resolving download.sourcemage.org... failed: host not found

also, I can't ping anything except localhost (if I couldn't find
*that* I'd be really worried).

It seems that I even though pppd makes my modem beep, burp & fart, it
doesn't actually connect me to anything. I've used 'quickppp' to setup 'chat'
and I know that's been successful for at least one sourcemage installation so
I'm sure it's set correctly there.

I know that a problem with Mandrake 9.0 exhibits the same symptoms,
but I don't know it the problems are related. I've followed the suggestions
offered for Mandrake users, to wit: removing 'lock' and/or 'auth' from the
chat 'option' file, but without success.

Also, I've not been able to generate a log file. The man page for
pppd tells me to use 'syslog' and directs me to the syslog man pages.
However, 'man syslog' tells me that there are no pages available and I don't
understand the syslog.conf format at all so I can't see what's happening.

Can anyone offer me some advice please?

Thanks for listening
Ken McLennan
Brisbane, Australia