sm-grimoire - Re: [SM-Grimoire] distcc and other chipsets

sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Spells and Grimoire items

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Grimoire] distcc and other chipsets
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:09:49 -0800

Quoting Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>:
> Hey all,
>
> I just fixed a few packages which failed on my new install of my laptop
> using
> distcc, so I fixed them to not. Then some more started failing, and I got to
> wondering, did no one else have these problems? Then I realized what I was
> doing, my laptop is a Pentium III, the other two machines I have it sending
> distcc requests to are an Athlon Thunderbird and an Athlon XP. Could this be
> what's causing errors that setting DISTCC_HOSTS= in DETAILS fixes? Is this
> something we should worry about, or just tell people to use the same
> chipsets
> when using distcc? Most of the packages (most of xfce4-profile, dependencies
> of
> qt-x11, a few gnome2-libs) compiled fine, but some did not. Should we be
> turning distcc off for any package that fails to compile on systems with
> different CPUs?
>
> I'd say "yes", just to keep things simple and working, but a better fix
> would
> be
> to have our gcc be a cross-compiler and we tell people to have gcc compiled
> for
> all architectures they have on their network if they want to use distcc, but
> that's more work than I (and probably others) have time to put in. Are there
> simple flags we can send through distcc to have it compile for a pentium3 on
> an
> athlon-xp without making gcc a cross compiler?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -sandalle

I did find some documentation in `man distcc` that looks like we may need to
either turn of distcc for all these trouble apps or get cross-compile-enabled
gcc working:

CROSS COMPILING
Cross compilation means building programs to run on a machine with a
different processor, architecture, or operating system to where they
were compiled. distcc supports cross compilation, including teams of
mixed-architecture machines, although some changes to the compilation
commands may be required.

The compilation command passed to distcc must be one that will execute
properly on every volunteer machine to produce an object file of the
appropriate type. If the machines have different processors, then sim-
ply using distcc cc will probably not work, because that will normally
invoke the volunteer's native compiler.

Machines with the same CPU but different operating systems may not nec-
essarily generate compatible .o files.

Several different gcc configurations can be installed side-by-side on
any machine. If you build gcc from source, you should use the --pro-
gram-suffix configuration options to cause it to be installed with a
name that encodes the gcc version and the target platform.

The recommended convention for the gcc name is TARGET-gcc-VERSION such
as i686-linux-gcc-3.2 . GCC 3.3 will install itself under this name,
in addition to TARGET-gcc and, if it's native, gcc-VERSION and gcc .

The compiler must be installed under the same name on the client and on
every volunteer machine.

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61