sm-grimoire - [SM-Grimoire] distcc and other chipsets

sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Spells and Grimoire items

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Grimoire] distcc and other chipsets
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:31:57 -0800

Hey all,

I just fixed a few packages which failed on my new install of my laptop using
distcc, so I fixed them to not. Then some more started failing, and I got to
wondering, did no one else have these problems? Then I realized what I was
doing, my laptop is a Pentium III, the other two machines I have it sending
distcc requests to are an Athlon Thunderbird and an Athlon XP. Could this be
what's causing errors that setting DISTCC_HOSTS= in DETAILS fixes? Is this
something we should worry about, or just tell people to use the same chipsets
when using distcc? Most of the packages (most of xfce4-profile, dependencies
of
qt-x11, a few gnome2-libs) compiled fine, but some did not. Should we be
turning distcc off for any package that fails to compile on systems with
different CPUs?

I'd say "yes", just to keep things simple and working, but a better fix would
be
to have our gcc be a cross-compiler and we tell people to have gcc compiled
for
all architectures they have on their network if they want to use distcc, but
that's more work than I (and probably others) have time to put in. Are there
simple flags we can send through distcc to have it compile for a pentium3 on
an
athlon-xp without making gcc a cross compiler?

Thoughts?

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61