sm-grimoire - Re: [SM-Grimoire] UPDATED field

sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of Spells and Grimoire items

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Grimoire] UPDATED field
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:57:09 -0800 (PST)

Adam Clark said:
> Hi Eric,
>
> No, the standard never was to change the UPDATED field unless you needed
> to force a recompile. Unfortunately I don't think people understand,
> for the most part, how this field works, as it is not very aptly named.
> If UPDATED were a benign field, I would recommend it gets changed with
> every update... but since it actually triggers work that is very
> possibly completely unneccessary, I still think it should *not* be
> updated unless one must force a recompile on people's systems.

I completely agree, however, I do remember a time when we were
"encouraged" to update the UPDATED field every time, and only after some
complaining by the users/developers (because they were tired of things
recompiling for a dependency update, etc.) then it was changed.

We'll give this another day for discussion to see if there is any
_technical_ merit in having the UPDATED field changed on every update and
if not, I'll edit the Grimoire Guru's Handbook (unless it's already set
this way, haven't checked yet) to say to only change UPDATED if you (the
guru) wants to force everyone to recompile outside of a version bump.

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--
PGP Key 0x5C8D199A5A317214