sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Any progress on not blindly breaking the system on updates?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: SourceMage Discuss Mailing List <SM-Discuss AT Lists.IBiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Any progress on not blindly breaking the system on updates?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 08:48:19 -0500

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 10:27:49AM +0100, Thomas Orgis wrote:

> Really, gentoo is just doing that … leaving the old soversions around
> (with means to cleanup, of course, I presume).

Yes, cleanup is easy with Gentoo. After an emerge, if there are any
preserved libraries portage issues a warning and recommends running emerge
@preserved-rebuild, which rebuilds any packages still using the preserved
libraries. Preserved libraries are automatically removed when no packages
are using them.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.