sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Any progress on not blindly breaking the system on updates?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Any progress on not blindly breaking the system on updates?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 10:27:49 +0100

Am Fri, 27 Mar 2020 14:29:07 -0700
schrieb Eric Sandall via SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>:

> I'm not sure leaving around old files will help in the long
> run, as then we might link against them,

You think that is a big danger when we leave libcrypto.so.1.0.0 around,
but libcrypto.so points to libcrypto.so.1.1? You'd only link to the old
library if the build explicitly specifies the full path to the file,
never with -lcrypto.

Really, gentoo is just doing that … leaving the old soversions around
(with means to cleanup, of course, I presume). The only issue I see is
that cleanse needs to check for those outdated libs in the ldd check
and see dependence as an error.

Alrighty then,

Thomas