sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Any progress on not blindly breaking the system on updates?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Florian Franzmann <bwlf AT bandrate.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Any progress on not blindly breaking the system on updates?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 11:33:37 +0100

Just as a little update, I tried upgrading openssl today. What's the result?

Attempting to get file from fall-back mirrors
wget: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open

Of course the huge list of spells triggered because of the library
incompatibility now is dropped because the download failed. This is
beyond stupid. Do we have an easy hook to make sorcery wait for all
downloads to finish before continuing to cast a spell that is known to
break others that then need to be recast? Or at least if one of those
broken spells is our download tool?

The big solution is to preserve the old library, well, a separate copy
of core tools for sorcery is also sensible. But since even gentoo has
library preservation now, I hope I'll get around and hack it up
properly. Too much things to do, as always …

What I wonder … of all the five people in the world using SMGL … am I
the only one _really_ buggered by this? I understand Florian's point
about it just being some playground. And, well, I also barely manage to
have a desktop with SMGL running, and some occasional server. I did not
find the time to set it up on my main workhorse laptop, since years
now.

Alrighty then,

Thomas