sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] gperf update to 3.1 breaks things

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] gperf update to 3.1 breaks things
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 14:13:41 +0100

On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 11:04:31 +0100, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 09:16:52 +0100, Thomas Orgis wrote:
Hi,

a quick note to all: We should consider reverting the gperf update to
3.1 in the grimoire or thinking about a proper fixup and triggery
(check_dependents_versionjump() comes to mind) of dependent spells.
Reason:

http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=8789

The 'len' parameter of the hash function and of the lookup
function is now of type 'size_t' instead of 'unsigned int'.
This makes it safe to call these functions with strings of
length > 4 GB, on 64-bit machines.

This breaks eudev, libcap, possibly qtwebkit.

It definitely breaks compiling eudev and libcap.
I am not sure about qtwebkit or qtwebengine as I have recompiled them
since the gperf update

I have prepared an up_trigger for gperf, bit I suspect that it would
be best to revert gpref until there is a fix for eudev

gperf only installs a binary, so triggers won't detect anything.
The only thing that we can do is ensure that all spells which use gperf actually depend on it and then try to fix any broken source code.

Maybe bzgrep the install logs for gperf/GPERF ?

I have revert the update
Regards, Treeve

Alrighty then,

Thomas