sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Trying to install SMGL on x86 from the old ISO and advancing from there … with linux spell trouble

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Trying to install SMGL on x86 from the old ISO and advancing from there … with linux spell trouble
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:18:23 +0200

Am Sun, 14 Aug 2016 13:49:05 +0200
schrieb Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>:

> So, if the tar.sign controversy is resolved, everything may work
> happily …

Oh, dear, this is so stupid: I used it wrong?! The patch menu after
selecting the base kernel version is really _not_ optional. You need to

1. Select something there.
2. Ensure that you toggled it (not just toggle the entry in the menu,
but also press the toggle button below … I wondered what that
superfluous button is for).

When There is a patch properly selected, the LATEST_3 in BASE_KVER is
replaced with the base version the patch applies to. That way, the
first branch of this piece of code of liblinux is executed
(inconsistent whitespace not from me):

case "$BASE_KVER" in
4*|3.[0-9]*)
. $KERNELS_DIRECTORY/${BASE_KVER}
echo ". \${SPELL_DIRECTORY}/info/kernels/${BASE_KVER}"
echo "SOURCE=\$source"
echo "SOURCE_URL=\$source_url"
echo "SOURCE2=\$source2"
echo
"SOURCE_GPG=kernel.gpg:\${SOURCE2}:ESTABLISHED_UPSTREAM_KEY"
echo "SOURCE2_URL=\$source2_url"
echo "SOURCE2_IGNORE=signature"
;;
3*|2.[0-9]*)
. $KERNELS_DIRECTORY/${BASE_KVER}
echo ". \${SPELL_DIRECTORY}/info/kernels/${BASE_KVER}"
echo "SOURCE=\$source"
echo "SOURCE_URL=\$source_url"
echo "SOURCE2=\${source}.sign"
echo
"SOURCE_GPG=kernel.gpg:\${SOURCE2}:ESTABLISHED_UPSTREAM_KEY"
echo "SOURCE2_URL=\${source_url}.sign"
echo "SOURCE2_IGNORE=signature"
;;
*)
. $KERNELS_DIRECTORY/${!BASE_KVER}
echo ". \${SPELL_DIRECTORY}/info/kernels/\$$BASE_KVER"
echo "SOURCE=\$source"
echo "SOURCE_URL=\$source_url"
echo "SOURCE2=\${source}.sign"
echo
"SOURCE_GPG=kernel.gpg:\${SOURCE2}:ESTABLISHED_UPSTREAM_KEY"
echo "SOURCE2_URL=\${source_url}.sign"
echo "SOURCE2_IGNORE=signature"
;;
esac

Otherwise, my kernel version stays at LATEST_3 and the last branch is
executed, providing a tar.xz.sign as SOURCE2. Btw. The middle branch is
rather broken. Besides, among all sources I mirrored from kernel.org, I
see only two versions where $SOURCE2=$source.sign might work: 2.6.39
and 3.0, but only because there are old files leftover from before
kernel.org republished everything with only tar.sign.

This whole distinction of versions is to be scrapped now. All kernel
versions need this:

echo "SOURCE=\$source"
echo "SOURCE_URL=\$source_url"
echo "SOURCE2=\$source2"
echo
"SOURCE_GPG=kernel.gpg:\${SOURCE2}:ESTABLISHED_UPSTREAM_KEY"
echo "SOURCE2_URL=\$source2_url"
echo "SOURCE2_IGNORE=signature"

To support my case, may I present slightly dated releases:

linux-1.0.tar.bz2
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v1.0/linux-1.0.tar.bz2
linux-1.0.tar.gz
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v1.0/linux-1.0.tar.gz
linux-1.0.tar.sign
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v1.0/linux-1.0.tar.sign
linux-1.0.tar.xz
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v1.0/linux-1.0.tar.xz

I don't really feel like touching that spell … It is the antithesis of
what I want from a spell. It's multiversion in the extreme. It is a
spell generator. Actually, that would be nice: A linux spell that
installs scripts that generate your selected linux spell in a local
grimoire. Then you know what happens in the actual cast …

But the fix looks rather obvious now … well, except for the question
why the patch overrides the kernel version and causes really different
code paths being used for the main source.

Alrighty then,

Thomas