sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Time to merge devel-xorg-modular

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Time to merge devel-xorg-modular
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 13:12:46 +0100

Am Sat, 28 Feb 2015 14:18:33 +0300
schrieb Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>:

> so we can release today.

Yay!

> Others can report, too. And it will have the regular security update
> procedure. But I'm planning to change schedule of grimoire releases --
> decrease them to 2. It will make much more sense than 12 releases a
> year which force our quality suck a lot.

I think that should be discussed. It's not that substantial when facing
_years_ without release, but I consider Source Mage a rolling release
distro of sorts, and twice a year is not much of rolling. Perhaps that
would mean declaring 'stable' something more like debian stable and the
normal home-user grimoire is supposed to be test, like it usually was
because stable releases were so rare most of the time.

Btw, having a stable grimoire per month, archived as such, provides an
easy way to access snapshots that isolate various tricky upgrades,
taking them in small steps with that box that updated a year ago last
time.

But we agree that we should push for our devel branch stuff in a stable
grimoire rather soon-ish, or not? So, have the discussion about release
cycles _after_ 0.63?

> And as noted before, our next step is to merge everything and anything.
> Maybe it will take more time though.

Well, let's just start and see. For a desktop machine with not too
anciend video card, the xorg devel stuff is just necessary.

Alrighty then,

Thomas