sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SMTP server ideas

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SMTP server ideas
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 13:49:55 -0600

On Feb 08, Vlad Glagolev [stealth AT tiberian.ru] wrote:
> I'm sure some of us would like to properly *send* from our
> @sourcemage.org email address, not only receive to it. I suppose it's
> not a big deal to set up a simple SMTP-auth with correct SPF and DKIM?
> Some of our devs asked me about it recently.

I brought this up several times over the years but there was rarely
interest in doing anything about it. Maybe the email world has changed
enough that's different and it's finally time to do something. We can
easily enough have SMTP-auth on the new system.

> Additionally, this would level down our "spam" status a lot. Because
> we're like in 2000 in what is related to email.

Yes, because all the forwarding addresses are constantly forwarding spam to
your real addresses. I have asked in the past that people only provide
addresses they actually control the receiving on so they can accept it all
and filter it themselves, but again with no real interest out there in
complying. I've even talked about just turning off that forwarding, but so
far we limp along.

I don't really intend to continue forwarding on the new system, for this
reason. What I've thought about doing instead is a POP service that has
either quotas on the mailbox or automatically removes anything past a
certain age. That way people that actually want their @sourcemage.org mail
can retrieve it without putting our new MX's reputation at risk, the rest
will just have it fall into the bit bucket over time.

> I also plan to write the small service which would generate a picture
> with an email address accepting, let's say, base64 value of it for
> input for GET request.
>
> Then we can use it on our developers[0] page to not publish raw
> addresses for happy spam-bots.

Consider me on the list of people that don't want this, or to change the
email domain. It is what it is, filtering is not that hard. Of course if
anyone wants to list some different address and not use the distro-provided
one they've always been able to do that.