sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devel-xorg-modular merging

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devel-xorg-modular merging
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:29:53 +0200

Am Tue, 26 Aug 2014 20:17:42 -0400
schrieb Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>:

> I tried to make a master bug http://sourcemage.org/issues/423 , but no one
> else seemed to contribute to it.

I didn't notice, but perhaps I was also not paying attention at the
time. Oh, right at that time, I really was overbooked.

> Unless you cast a bunch of X11 spells before switching to devel-xorg, you
> wouldn't have run into the main problem. The major issue is that a bunch of
> spells link to libpthread-stubs

Hm. I did cast xorg-spells. I had fluxbox with xterm running. Then I
have seen that libxft doesn't build and remembered that it did on the
devel branch.

> On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
> wrote:
>
> > I think the only proper way to solve this is to have sorcery collect the
> > link dependencies from the installed spells,
> > [...]
> > This would of course mean a big change in sorcery though and given the
> > lack of time and motivation for any big sorcery work, I don't think this
> > is
> > going to happen anytime soon.
>

> Honestly, I'd love to get around to implementing this, but I don't have the
> time currently.

Well, that says it all. We only have choices of "bad" things, due to
reality constraints. I then opt for the bad thing that makes it
possible to have a current working system with quite some mess during
upgrade instead of the thing that lets Source Mage die.

So, what would be the dirty approach to get this done from your
experience?

Please, if someone strongly disagrees and thinks we need a highly
sophisticated migration plan, please step forward and implement said
plan:-/

Alrighty then,

Thomas