sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devel-xorg-modular merging

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devel-xorg-modular merging
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 20:17:42 -0400

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org> wrote:
Am Tue, 26 Aug 2014 10:25:26 -0400
schrieb Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>:

> I think we are all in agreement here, but, unless we abandon the idea of a
> clean upgrade path, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I think that ship has sailed long ago. I _never_ had a clean Source
Mage install in about 8 years now. There is always something broken
that needs manual care. We had times where the project was much more
vital and even then there was always something broken. We should
document the issues one needs to fix up manually and get going.

Agreed, I've never had a clean Source Mage install, but I've never actually used the stable grimoire. IIRC, last time we had the discussion of merging devel-xorg on the mailing list, people were still concerned about this.

Actually, I must admit I'm not sure anymore of what specific upgrade
blockers you are talking. I must have hit them somehow during the
journey from an install from the old x86-64 ISO to devel-xorg grimoire.
There was so much to fix ... what was the specific issue of upgrading
xorg?

I tried to make a master bug http://sourcemage.org/issues/423 , but no one else seemed to contribute to it.
Unless you cast a bunch of X11 spells before switching to devel-xorg, you wouldn't have run into the main problem. The major issue is that a bunch of spells link to libpthread-stubs which need to be recast when moving to devel-xorg, since there is a ABI incompatible update of libpthread-stubs. I've tried to resolve this, but I couldn't find a good way to do it without getting lots of circular dependencies and such. I think Remko's idea is the best solution to this problem: