sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] HTTPS support not compiled in ... and mirroring in general

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] HTTPS support not compiled in ... and mirroring in general
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:11:37 -0500

On 03/10/2014 04:35 AM, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> I forgot the "mirroring in general" part. How does our mirroring work?
> Is there some official infrastructure and way to add a mirror to that?
>
> I am also wondering why the mirrors are missing so many files. In
> Theory, every needed source (apart from daily snapshots, I presume)
> should be present on a mirror. Yet, summon often fails when upstream
> decided that it wants to delete files more than a week old.
>
> So, can someone enlighten me about the Source Mage mirrors?

There's only an official mirror provided by emrys' former employer...
That might be a problem, but I'm not the one who set that stuff up.

Every needed source was never guaranteed to be on a mirror.

The mirror list might be really old, especially for sourceforge.net.
They've changed their mirroring system, and our mirroring logic is not
exactly conducive to the way they run that stuff now.

I am unfortunately not familiar enough with the mirroring system, but I
do know that it mirrors effectively the official sourcemage artifacts,
and the sources are kind of a bonus.

I know that maintaining that source mirror is difficult at best, since
there's no particular good API or method to dump all the sources, I
wrote some utilities a long time ago, but they're stupidly slow.

Updating your SOURCEFORGE_URL by hand should resolve the problems with
smgl trying the old puzzle.dl.sf.net stupidity.

--
David