sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] HTTPS support not compiled in ... and mirroring in general

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] HTTPS support not compiled in ... and mirroring in general
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:17:27 +0100

Hi there,

I am doing a fresh install of SMGL (from an acient ISO:-/). Of course,
I stumble over several bugs. One issue that perseveres is download URLs
that cannot work. This is similar to spells using git URLs and sorcery
just giving me a hint that I should rather install git (but not
querying for it, just failing to get the download), but more subtle:

When I built wget without HTTPS (which I have to enable explicitly when
starting from the ISO), every spell using a https:// URL fails with the
"HTTPS support not compiled in" message.

Now, we should decide if HTTPS in wget is now mandatory (reasonable) or
decide not to use https:// URLs in spells (example: liblrdf).

I have several other issues, of course (unsolved at the moment: Getting
xorg to find my input devices ... udev has them, but doesn't tell?),
but let's start with this one.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

PS: Yes, it's sad that SMGL is very much on life-support again, after I
have whitnessed times where it gained some momentum again ... but it's
still a good learning tool for messing around down in the gutters of
free software, less repetitive than LFS.