sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] some java questions...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] some java questions...
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:06:48 -0600

Hi,

Before the question, let me clarify my short term objective: To
compile icedtea-web and JRE using gcj (gcc with java) as starting
point, without the need of initial binary JRE/JDK.

Now the questions:

1.- When casting gcc with java and JDK Tree emulation, is it still
necessary to cast java-gcj-compat to still get a compatible JDK Tree
emulation?

2.- Is gcc with java on version 4.7.2 cleaner than old 4.6.3 in test?
It happens that on 4.6.3 there's missing stuff that breaks cleanse.

3.- Can icedtea-web be compiled directly with plain gcj?
Instructions? All I've found is that icedtea-web is tested to compile
under icedtea JDK, but not whether or not gcj can compile it. I'd
guess given icedtea-web is based on gnu classpath it should work, but
haven't found anything confirming this.

4.- If having icedtea jdk, or any other jdk, non gcj, is a must for
icedtea-web, then which are the steps to get icedtea compiled from
source, and from scratch (no initial binaries) with gcj as starting
point? I found this:

https://evolvis.org/plugins/mediawiki/wiki/jalimo/index.php/CrossCompilingOpenJDK

But, though it makes me understand the main idea, there are minor
details missing. Like if I compile/install (cast) gcj, then PATH will
get polluted with some java stuff (even with the jdk tree emulation
there's some stuff in /usr/bin and the like). So somehow, PATH, and
some other stuff for libraries and headers might need change. Also, I
wouldn't like to dispel gcj, given the time it takes to cast it back.
So some instructions towards coexistence are also required...

5.- Are there any SMGL like instructions around there?

6.- Is the gcj JRE like, gij, enough, like to eventually use it on
other applications like libreoffice? Or for such endeavours is still
required to have an icedtea JRE?

Thanks in advance,

--
Javier.