sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [Grimoire - Bug #530] (New) [xorg] after compiling with gcc 4.7.2 on test, now xorg refuses to start with core devices unable to be allocated.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [Grimoire - Bug #530] (New) [xorg] after compiling with gcc 4.7.2 on test, now xorg refuses to start with core devices unable to be allocated.
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:15:47 -0600

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,

> I recompiled everything on a x86-64 machine after upgrading gcc to 4.7.2...

> When finally getting to reboot after the whole process, including
> fixing a couple of broken spells after gcc upgrade, I now realize I
> can't start X.
>
> X fails to allocate core devices (I'm guessing input devices), so X
> ends up crashing.

OK, I had to go and install X from xorg-modular-devel branch. There
was no other way to overcome the issue.

Not sure why on earth the old Xorg stuff though compiling/installing
OK was not working at all. Changing to a bit newer xorg-modular-devel
made the thing work.

I don't know what's the status of the laptop now though, cause I just
install minimal amount of spells as required... Then I put test back
on top of xorg-modular-devel...

Seems like test is broken now, and some minimal push of X stuff at
least needs to go into it. BTW, several driver were still too old in
xorg-modular-devel and failed to compile, like xf86-input-void,
xf86-video-fbdev, xf86-video-dummy, xf86-video-vmware, and I updated
them locally and they compiled/installed OK...

I'll update the bug indicating what I found...

Thanks,

--
Javier.