sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SOURCEFORGE_URL

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SOURCEFORGE_URL
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 18:43:31 -0600

On 02/18/2013 06:25 PM, Sukneet Basuta wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM, David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org> wrote:
>> The SOURCEFORGE_URL pattern you described doesn't always work in all
>> cases, leaving us where we're at right now. It's much simpler and more
>> reliable to use the project specific URLs and let sourceforge handle
>> their mirroring system.
>
> Do you have an example where
> downloads.sourceforge.net/${PROJECT_NAME}/${SOURCE} doesn't work? I
> have never come across one.

Ah, the one I tried before worked when I tried it again (zssh for
example.) Maybe it was a different one. I should've written down the one
I tried :(

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM, David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org> wrote:
>> There is no official mirror list that sf.net provides, and it's foolish
>> to try to invent one where none exists.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Mirrors
>
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM, David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org> wrote:
>> I can't speak for python, but the ruby gems (not sure about the ruby MRI
>> sources) are handled via a load balancer. Generally, it's handled the
>> same way we handle download.sourcemage.org, a load-balancer sends them
>> to the appropriate mirror. Which, interestingly enough, is the same way
>> sf.net is doing it. Which would indicate to me that it would not be a
>> good idea to invent a mirroring scheme where none exists, at least for
>> ruby gems.
>
> My only issue with load balancers is that it is possible to be sent to
> a mirror that is slow for you. Granted, that is unlikely to happen
> with a proper load balancer and you will generally be sent a mirror
> that is currently best for your location, but it does happen. That's
> why I think it should be up to the user's choice.

Unfortunately, we don't have any reliable list to use to give them a choice.

> I still think the best thing to do is to set SOURCEFORGE_URL to
> downloads.sourceforge.net. This will allow all spells to still work
> and, if we wish, to slowly set the paths to project specific URLS.
> That way, we can support a mirror system for sourceforge in the
> future.

Setting the url to that for now is probably reasonable, but there is no
advertised mirror list for sourceforge. Unless someone can provide me a
mirror listing provided by sf.net that's official and provides the urls
to all the mirrors, I will not condone doing such things.

--

David