sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SOURCEFORGE_URL

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SOURCEFORGE_URL
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:07:42 -0600

On 02/18/2013 12:38 PM, Vlad Glagolev wrote:

>> It is a part of sorcery, so it should be updated in sorcery for all
>> users or get out from there.
>> Seems works for me.
>> If we really can't address official mirrors (I didn't test them) then
>> SOURCEFORGE_URL should be set to http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ and
>> $SOURCEFORGE_URL/$SPELL/$SOURCE will works like a charm.
>> Personally I would't changed DETAILS files by scripts. Don't touch
>> running system.
>> If Source Forge change it back again we will be prepared. :-)
>> And according to local variables, sorcery should warn users that it is
>> stale.
>
> I agree on this one,
>
> simply replacement of static url is silly. we have to update via
> sorcery and/or smgl-mirrors spell. it's more universal and practically
> efficient way, and it won't take several thousands senseless commits.

There is no official mirror list that sf.net provides, and it's foolish
to try to invent one where none exists.

the Sourceforge mirror system should be removed, and we should use the
upstream mirroring system that sf.net provides.

> speaking of which, we should add the same mirroring url for python and
> ruby (according to what we have for perl).

I can't speak for python, but the ruby gems (not sure about the ruby MRI
sources) are handled via a load balancer. Generally, it's handled the
same way we handle download.sourcemage.org, a load-balancer sends them
to the appropriate mirror. Which, interestingly enough, is the same way
sf.net is doing it. Which would indicate to me that it would not be a
good idea to invent a mirroring scheme where none exists, at least for
ruby gems.

--
David